Friday, June 21, 2019

Gran Fondo Ellensburg 2019: Ride Report

Some gravel dirt and wear and tear on the front - is something missing?
The day went pretty much according to expectations, following the same rhythm as previous rides - a steady and fairly easy beginning with beautiful views of the Yakima river and only the occasional rock; a very hard climb on gravel; some more gravel and beautiful views along a mountain top ridge; several harrowing descents; and a very fast ride back, being pushed by a tremendous tail-wind.

So happy to finish safely and get a badge.

Along with riding with elan and kindness, my goal was to get within 5% of the winner - I didn't quite make it but, all in all, I had a good day! The winning times over the last five years have been quite consistent and, except for last year when I had a couple of flats and a weird kind of a day, my times have been fairly consistent too!

     Winning Time             My Time 
2019 5:29:59 (Ian Tubbs)      5:49:56 (+19:56)(6% off)   8/103
2018 5:25:08 (Derek Parsons)  6:09:29 (+44:20)(14% off) 15/111
2017 5:29:43 (Evan Plews)     5:48:25 (+18:42)(5% off)   5/107
2016 5:26:01 (Steven Mull)    5:42:50 (+16:49)(5% off)  12/124
2015 5:25:31 (Tim Smith)      6:19:28 (+53:47)(17% off) 21/81

I sensed that my training had been quite good and, indeed, my sensations at Gran Fondo Ellensburg on the bike were excellent. My efforts were controlled and solid and I was able for the most part to find gentle, fast and safe lines on the descents. I think my effort on the first climb was fairly consistent from top to bottom and I found that I was passing riders for most of the climb. When I went by the place that I flatted last year quickly and gently I gained (unwarranted) confidence that all would be well this year! The second big climb was solid, I think, but not fantastic. During the middle part of the ride, I suffered some terrible cramps in my hamstrings and calves. They were disabling but got better after I did some climbing while standing and eating some caffeine stuff.  I assume that the cramps occurred because I've done relatively little climbing in training. I felt surprisingly strong over the last 10-15 miles, which I rode with Brian Kohagen, Mark Littrell, and Anthony Dickson. 

The last gravel descent was terrifying. Fortunately, however, I followed a very skillful rider, Brian Kohagen: When he bunny hopped a hole, I bunny hopped, when he swerved left to avoid something, I looked right for a safe line, when he slowed, I slowed, when he got a little too far ahead, I peddled and closed the gap. For most of the descent, Brian and Mark Littrell were 10 to 20 meters ahead of me - and I followed, approaching my limit. 

I was fascinated to learn that Brian was also monitoring his device while descending - and he would brake in plenty of time prior to the corners. I had assumed that he knew the descent well because his speed varied a good deal - but, no, he was relying on his device for signals on braking and cornering.  

The device, the bike, the rider - all working together, somehow. 

How to improve? Given my physiological limits, I'm not sure. Loose a bit more weight. Spend much more training-time on climbing. Keep working at consistency and increase volume, accepting limits of my time. Do hard threshold work paired with long, very, very easy endurance rides. Can I do more weekly minutes of threshold work? Perhaps, but too much of that and I don't seem to be able to recover. And, do very easy recovery rides. Core exercises and stretching have, I believe, been working - I felt fixed to my seat on the climbs and I'm able, I think, to vary by peddling cadence, from around 70rpm to 105rpm, while maintaining control and smoothness. So, I'll keep being consistent at all that. The Fast Talk Podcast has been particularly informative. Dr. Seiler, in particular, says a lot of interesting things!  I suppose its pretty straightforward - peddle better.

Big slash and bubbles on the tire tread.
Got lucky.
The wheels and tires.I was, in short, lucky. My back tire survived, but barely. Somehow I managed to turn about 1/4 of the tread of my beautiful, albeit "somewhat" worn, Bon Jon 35mm tires into bubbles. Yes, bubbles, between the casing and the tread, filled with air but no sealant - just like blisters on one's feet.  Two of the bubbles popped, creating impressive slashes but the casing continued to hold air and sealant.

How did these bubbles occur? I wrote Rene Here Cycles and asked: What can I learn from this? I had three hypotheses: (1) Rider mistake - I locked up the back wheel and skidded; (2) Tire problem - something wrong with the tire; and (3) Worn out tire (see interesting discussion). In their judgement, the bubbles were due to #1 and #3 in combination. I appreciated very much the time they gave over to my question.

I don't understand the physics of the bubbles. How do they occur? Does the friction of braking very rapidly cause the tread to separate from the casing? Why only air and not sealant in the bubbles? I guess, well, because the sealant stays inside the casing but the air escapes the casing. Why would a worn tire contribute to the creation of bubbles? Perhaps because over time with power going into the tire the bond between the tread and casing weakens. Perhaps, the weakened bond together with the friction of rapid de-acceleration, or skidding even on gravel, creates the bubbles. I've never seen bubbles in tires before. It's all very interesting. But, I hope I don't see bubbles again - or feel them while riding!

Did I lock up the back wheel and skid? Oddly, I do not remember locking it up. There was no one singular event as far as I can remember. In fact, I encountered no "known" close calls. But, absorbing events and remembering them seems inhibited when one is highly focussed. Hence, I wouldn't be surprised if I had skidded. I was on and off the brakes repeatedly and aggressively on the descents, at my limit. When at speed and focused - and when trying to be efficient and gentle - braking happens so quickly and unconsciously that I have no idea whether I'm skidding or not. I think not or, if I am, for very short periods of time, but perhaps those short periods of time, if they do occur, add up.

Anyway, last year I was unlucky with my slashed side wall; this year I was lucky to not get a flat (while, for example, riding fast to the finish). That's how things go I suppose. In professional cycling, riders speak of "luck" all of the time, which has always fascinated me. There must be some psychological advantage to appealing to luck - what might it be?

So, all in all, a great bicycle outing in a beautiful landscape. I'm so lucky to be able to ride a bicycle and experience the sensations of riding hard - peddling smoothly; finding gentle and safe lines; shifting cleanly; and chasing that sensation of focus and effortlessness.

Thanks to Vicious Cycle for a great event. Only about 14 weeks until Gran Fondo Winthrop!

I hope I don't see these bubbles again.


1 comment:

  1. Love your blog. I am fixing up a 72 Supercourse I got a few weeks ago. I like the detail you went through in your entries about fixing up and riding your bike. I hope to ride mine in some short events next year when I finish it. Thanks for writing your blog.

    ReplyDelete