Thursday, September 1, 2016

Gran Fondo Winthrop 2016: Getting Ready: Part I

Raleigh Super Course Summer Set-up - Fenders, 5-speed, and 27" wheels

Since Gran Fondo Ellensburg, the riding has been good. I had a couple of memorable rides, including a very enjoyable 300K, organized by the Seattle Randonneurs. I think it might be fun to try some of the longer Randonneuring rides next year. 

For the last 4 weeks, I've not done much riding. Instead, I've been backpacking and generally taking it easy with family. Not riding was an odd feeling at first, but the backpacking and traveling was good too.

With 4 weeks to Gran Fondo Winthrop 2016 by Vicious Cycle, I'm back riding. It's great to see that almost 150 people are registered. 

The plan is to do three solid weeks, aiming for a total of 45 hours. I'll do 3 long rides, 4-6 hard interval sessions, and easy recovery rides. For the week before GFW I'll take it easy and try to be as rested as possible. 

I had an unfortunate flat tire at Gran Fondo Ellensburg 2016, which I think was due to my Specialized Trigger 33c tire "burping" when I hit a good sized rock at high speed. That was a first after more than 500 miles on riding on gravel on the tubeless set-up. 

Not sure what to do about minimizing the chance of it happening again - I've talked to a couple of different mechanics and they shrugged their shoulders and say "that happens." It's a little disconcerting. I've bought a CO2 air pump so if it happens again, I try blasting the tire with some air rather than putting a tube into the tire straight away. 

For GFW 2016, the plan is to ride a tubeless Specialized Trigger 38c tire on the front and a Trigger 33c on the back, with perhaps 37 and 45 psi in the front and back. Hopefully no flat tires this year! The Trigger 33c on the back will give me lots of room between the frame and the tire and hopefully the bigger tire on the front will give some float and stability on the corners. 

Last year at GFW 2015 I broke 8 hours and got within 26% of the winner (one flat tire and one lost pump). I'm not sure what's possible this year. I'll try to ride hard and with élan. 



No comments:

Post a Comment