Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Bike Fitting and Core Strength

Super Course Feb 2016 - Tubeless Wheels (Specialized Trigger Pro 2BR (700c x 38mm)

Related to a fairly significant leg length difference, my left knee and back have been sore for the last couple of years. Kari Studley at Corpore Sano has been a huge, huge, huge help.

Well, actually, her character, experience, and skills have been life-changing, giving me new understandings for my body, and allowing me to be more comfortable on the bike.  Until I was 50 years old, I basically took for granted my comfort on the bike (on my skis). But, no more. And, still, so much more to learn.

In November, Kari fitted my road bike and the Super Course. On the Super Course, I changed the handle bars to get a better position on the bike. I found a quill stem with a fitting for taking a modern handle bar, which was sitting around from Karen's old set-up. And, I re-used some old bar tape - why not!  So, it looks like this now:


Kari also taught me some core strengthening exercises. Planks - left, right, and middle - bridges, and crunches, - center, left, and right - along with exercises for my hips. These exercises are my new friends. It took me weeks to learn the physical technique for moving my body correctly. But, I've developed a routine, which I think might just be magical.  Slowly but surely my knee and back seem to be improving. I imagine that I won't ever again be able to take them for granted.

Strengthening my core seems to help me keep my butt rock-solid on the seat, which seems to help my peddling, which seems to make my knee and back happier. I've been doing the exercises near daily for 16 weeks.

I don't much like planks, bridges, and crunches, to be honest; after a hard riding session or long day at work I will sometimes bail on doing them. But, I never bail on stretching. Nevertheless, I plan to keep at them because I do think they have made a huge difference to my health.  Thank you Kari.

So, check on riding goal #2 (get re-fitted to the bikes and reconsider the biomechanics), goal #3 (Get stronger. Continue to address the challenges with the back and left knee. Get a stronger core).

No comments:

Post a Comment