Friday, September 4, 2015

The Autumn Setup

Super Course: Version 2.0 for the Autumn 2015, with Schwalbe Active Tires (28/32 - 630)
I've continued to work on the Super Course. I did order the new 26.8 mm seatpost and replaced the old 26.6 mm one. That was a very good idea. Now, I can better tighten the seatpost bolt and the seat does not budge.

I replaced the brake hoods and re-did the bar tape with cotton tape, which I shellacked. I used hemp string to secure the bar tape.  A fun craft project. The grip on the bars is just fine. In celebration of the autumn season, I played around with the colors, a little yellow, a little orange. And, I put a bell on the handle bar post - a good idea (well perhaps a necessity) for the kind of riding I do.

The Bell
I've explored a couple of different tires. I tried out the 27 x 1 3/8 Kenda K161 (37-630 mm). There is a labeling problem - the tire is definitely not 1 3/8 inch.  The width is more like 32 mm than 37 mm. I rode them once on gravel; after about 10 miles the tire split with a 1 inch gash, and I lost confidence. Would a tube protector have prevented this damage? No idea.

I tried out the Schwalbe Active 28/32 - 630 tire.  Excellent ride on pavement but too thin for gravel roads or paths. I think it would be a fine commuting tire.

I tried out the Club Roost Cross Terra 27 x 1-3/8 Black Steel tires (37-630). These are definitely 37 mm wide. They have worked beautifully, although I've had a two inexplicable pinch-type flats. I think hitting a rock at an odd angle somehow pinches the sidewall, which is quite thin, and causes the flat. I've run these tires at 45-55 PSI and they provide excellent traction on gravel and good cornering - the tread is quite aggressive at the edges of the tire.

One challenge: The Club Roost Cross Terra tires - who comes up with these names - barely fit the frame. The tolerances between the chainstays and the tire are very fine and if the wheel were to come a little out of true the tire would rub the frame.  In muddy conditions I don't think these tires would be workable. Not a resilient solution.

Anyway, I put on the fenders which I am pretty sure were originally designed for 27 inch wheels.  They have worked like a charm and I'm able to run the 37-630 mm Club Roost Cross Terra tires with the fenders. I plan on commuting with this set up for a while and also riding gravel and forest paths from time to time.  We'll see how the tires go.

I replaced the back gear changer.  The 40-year old Huret back derailleur worked but I thought it was just a little too rough. I installed a new inexpensive Shimano derailleur, and it has worked nicely.  The 40-year old front derailleur remains on the bike and works great.

After some hard riding on gravel the front headset tends to loosen up. I've started to check it regularly and re-tighten it. Need to keep an eye on that. The excellent mechanics at Recycled Cycles tell me that the top headset ring is 30mm and the lower one is 40mm. A big adjustable wrench will work for the bottom one but I need to get a 30 mm headset wrench for the top (instead of trying to make due with the more standard 32 mm headset wrench).

All and all the Super Course is ready for the Autumn.

2 comments:

  1. I ordered a 26.8mm seat post after reading this, but it looks and feels like it'll never fit. The 26.6 I have in it required me to tighten it down quite a bit, but seems solid. Did you have to spread your seat tube to get the 26.8 to fit?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aaron - Yes. I did have to carefully spread the frame out a bit. It's worked for me for the last couple of years. I wrote about my experience with that detail here: http://myraleighsupercourse.blogspot.com/2015/06/whats-next.html

      Perhaps that writing will be somewhat helpful ... All the best with your project.

      Delete